[mythtv-users] Suspend / Resume

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:54:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm using suspend/resume on my combined be/fe mythtv box. For the moment
this box is still using a Hauppauge Nova 500 PCI DVB-T card. The kernel
drivers for this card don't support suspend, so I need to unload them.
This forces me to stop the backend, so that the drivers be released
prior to their unloading.

So in my suspend script, I kill the BE process and suspend. After
resume, I start the BE. The Frontend process is running all the time.
However, the FE is now complaining about a missing connection to the BE.
In 0.23 this dialog would quickly go away, with 0.24 the dialog does go
away, but the recordings list isn't populated. Somehow the loss of
connection doesn't seem to be recovered from as well as in the past.

I don't know if I'm operating to the specs, so:

* is there a way to sort of freeze the frontend process?

* killing and restarting the BE is kind of like simulating a failover in
a distributed environment, so isn't what I'm doing actually a valid
usecase? Should I file a ticket?

For now I'm also shutting down the FE, but that makes resume take even
longer -> no good work-around.

Thanks
greg