[mythtv-users] MythTV with Vintage Gear

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 29 19:55:42 UTC 2010

On 11/29/2010 11:06 AM, Tony Brummett wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Christopher X. Candreva
> <chris at westnet.com>  wrote:
>> While my TV is now a Vizio 1080p 37", my main stereo is a 1971 Yamaha
>> CR-400 and a pair of original Advent Loudspeakers, given to me by a cousin
>> when I was in college around 1987. In 1990 I added a dbx subwoofer from the
>> DAK catalog, the one they sold as "Krakatoa Erupts".
>>
>> Is anyone using anything older ? A Heathkit TV you built yourself perhaps ?
>
> For a long time I was using a pair of Quad ESL 57s and a Dynaco ST70
> amp for sound duty.  They certainly weren't the most practical for
> watching TV, but they were too cool not to use.  One of the speakers
> needs rebuilt, so they're offline until I get around to it.

Quad ESL's! Yes, VERY IMPRACTICAL, but great sound although a little
light on the deep bass. They can be driven to be quite loud. And cannot
be over-driven, although the little blue arclighting effect does look
good in a dark room!

The ESL57's are probably the longest continually produced audio product
EVER. The '57 stands for the design year, and they were produced through
the 60's into the 70's in exactly the same design. A quick Google
reveals over 60,000 speakers were built before production ended in 1981!
What year are yours?

Dynaco! Haven't seen that name in some years!

I'll put my hand up for 1968 for a pair of Acoustic Research AR3A
speakers, which were the audio output of my mythbox until about 6 months
ago. Too big! my wife said, so they are now set up on either side of the
credenza I am typing at, here at the office, powered by an only 20+ year
old Denon DRA-825RA, which allegedly pushes about 140W/channel @4 ohms.
Works well: A recording of E. Power Biggs at the Fillmore can bring down
dust from the ceiling tiles!

The amplifier at home still is a Crown D75 of unknown early 70's
vintage. Once upon a time, I used to drive the AR3A's with a Crown
DC300. Good thing no-one had a sound pressure meter available back then.

What's that you say? Speak up, don't mumble!

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor

         o905-271-9600 f905-271-1638