[mythtv-users] Video schema conflicts 0.24+fixes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 30 14:38:52 UTC 2010

  On 11/30/2010 12:32 AM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 07:33 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>     I let the front end upgrade the back end schema?  (Last time that
>>> happened it was big trouble for 3 days, and that included an new install
>>> for the back end.)
>> No.  You let it update the MythVideo /frontend/ plugin schema.  There is
>> no such thing as backend plugins, so all plugin data/schema is frontend.
>    I seem to be a bit dense Mike, I do appreciate the help, but I think I
> ought to clarify something, I run a front end on the same system as the
> back end, and it did not ask about updating the schema, but my laptop,
> which is running the same version from the same repo is asking.  Is it
> safe to let it update the schema?  (I'm still remembering the last time
> I let a front end update stuff.)

If it truly is the same version of MythTV on both the frontend and the
laptop, then it's safe to let the laptop upgrade the MythVideo schema.
It would also indicate one of 2 things--either your update scripts
didn't properly restart your frontend process*** (so you're running a
0.23 frontend against a 0.24 backend, which is a recipe for disaster if
you continue running it--so well worth exiting the frontend to make
sure) or your frontend doesn't have MythVideo installed on it (so it
doesn't know/care about the MythVideo schema).

Mike

*** Note, also, that if the frontend is still running the older version,
it's possible that the backend is still running the older version
because it, too, was not restarted properly.  A certain distro's
packaging scripts have been known to not properly restart things after
an upgrade, so my recommendation is to reboot the whole frontend/backend
system--to make sure everything restarts properly.