[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 18:15:11 UTC 2010

Udo,

This is not an embedded device running a safety critical system... you
know like a space shuttle. If a memory leak isnt going to be an issue
for the expected interval between required reboots for other things
(like kernel updates) then why spend the time on it, there is only
limited development resource and it doesnt actually produce any gains
that the users experience.

Its all good in theory chasing down every leak but this is the real
world... with real resource constraints and things need to be "good
enough" in terms of areas such as memory leaks.

If it was a safety critical system then "good enough" would equal ZERO
leaks and ZERO bugs, but in a home entertainment system then its
certainly is a case of diminishing returns.

The developers have quite nicely said, time after time, provide the
information that we have asked for and we'll look into it... which I
am surprised about as it is a waste of time looking and fixing such
small leaks. If a leak wont bring a typical system down in 3 or
6months of uptime... the time is better spent adding a feature...

No, this isnt an ideal situation, in an ideal situation we'd have all
the features we want (an on demand, transcoding media server with RSS,
uPNP and downloading via mythweb, everything configured by wizards and
lots of other stuff) and ZERO bugs or leaks....

But we dont and we wont.

(sorry if this is stepping on anyones toes but this email is rather
tedious and cyclical).