[mythtv-users] New thin MythTV frontend?: QNAP NMP1000 Media Player

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 1 13:47:24 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 01, 2010 07:38:30 am Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> Wow nice box!  If the graphics are fast enough, and we can bump the memory,
> it's a winner in my eyes!!!

It's using the Sigma chip's hardware for video decoding, as does the Myka, which has handled everything I have thrown at
it so far, with the exception of DTS, but this unit handles DTS, albeit only by downconverting, but at least you can hear
it.

Hardware video decoding is nice in some ways, the main drawback being that it's limited to containers and codecs that are
built-in to it, anything new coming down the pike might be a problem.

But the hardware chip probably can't handle, or even help with, flash/silverlight, and these days that's something you want
in an HTPC. Of course that's a problem with just about anything these days.

Hardware decoding also means that RAM is not needed as much as with software decoding, or even VDPAU, so that 256MB might
not be as limiting as it first appears.

But, as I said, LOTS of potential.