[mythtv-users] Merging two master backends

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Oct 3 02:51:02 UTC 2010

On 10/02/2010 01:55 PM, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 12:50:45PM -0400, Michael T. Dean (mtdean at thirdcontact.c
>
>>> Recovering recordings is not a simple process, and there is a lot
>>> of data you need to produce to do it properly.
>>
>> Therefore, the proper approach is to stick the recordings from the
>> "other" backend into MythVideo.
>
> Wouldn't that lead to loss of all of their metadata?
>
>> In the future, we'll have MythTV automatically import orphaned
>> recording files.  Unfortunately, it's not a simple process, so it's
>> not coded, yet.  This complexity is also why we don't recommend
>> direct DB editing to add recordings (and why we've deprecated the
>> scripts that attempt to add recordings)--because you're likely to
>> put corrupt data into your backend, which could cause problems when
>> you add it or months/years later.
>
> After spending some time looking at the database I must confess
> an itch to redo it completely with postgresql and all possible
> consistency-enforcing foreign keys and constraints...
>
> But, thank you for the warning. I appreciate the complexity,
> and will consider alternative approaches before taking the plunge.

Tapani, you might try looking at the source for the
myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script to determine the minimum data needed.

That script, although deprecated, does work for importing video files
into the database, even where it would not be possible to tune the
channel which the basename indicates was the source channel...In other
words, it is just a name. There are 7 required items (for the recorded
table only, I think). But it is correct that this ignores the other data
entry points.

If you just intend to watch and delete these videos, you may not care
that the system may not 'know' that you have previously seen an episode
when it comes around again. But that would mean you would end up with
repeat recordings if you use any recording rule except 'only this showing'.

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West