[mythtv-users] [OT] webcam stuck on 160x120

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 00:01:06 UTC 2010

Putting this here because:

1. the box concerned is a frontend and also running mythzoneminder;

2. Although not strictly mythtv related, there are a lot of people
round here who know a lot about v4l (which guessing is the source of
the problem).

I am setting up zoneminder on ubuntu 10.04. I have a Philips SPC530NC
webcam which seems to be capable of 640x480, according to advertising
and other info on the web. See by way of example:
http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/webcameras/philips-spc530nc-00/

However the camera doesn't seem capable of doing more than a miserable
160x120 when plugged into my system. All the tools (v4l-info, lucview,
lsusb -v etc) report the width as 160 and the height as 120. However
output from similar commands, eg here:

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linux-uvc-devel/2008-October/004146.html

show that people have got the correct resolutions from this device.

Any idea where to go from here?