[mythtv-users] vga to ntsc

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 4 14:46:20 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 04, 2010 08:38:04 am Raymond Wagner wrote:
>   On 10/4/2010 10:14, kqt4at5v at comcast.net wrote:
> > Can y'all recommend a reasonably priced vga to ntsc adapter
> > All I want is to be able to connect the vga port on my laptop to my
> > old ntsc tv to watch movies
> > All adapters I have seen say they require windows
>
> Such an adapter is called a 'scan converter'.  It reads in the video
> signal, and reprocesses in real time to composite or Svideo.  As it
> never touches your system, it cannot possibly require Windows.  These
> devices are all complex, expensive, and result in poor quality video.
> You actually don't have a video output on your laptop?

They may in fact "require Windows" if you want to be able to use the NTSC output as an extension to the main screen, they
would have to tie into the video drivers somehow.

But if you just want to convert a single VGA output to NTSC, I agree there should be no Windows (or any particular OS)
required.