[mythtv-users] vga to ntsc

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Mon Oct 4 15:26:58 UTC 2010

On 10/04/2010 08:04 AM, kqt4at5v at comcast.net wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> On 10/4/2010 10:14, kqt4at5v at comcast.net wrote:
>>> Can y'all recommend a reasonably priced vga to ntsc adapter
>>> All I want is to be able to connect the vga port on my laptop to my old
>>> ntsc tv to watch movies
>>> All adapters I have seen say they require windows
>>
>> Such an adapter is called a 'scan converter'. It reads in the video
>> signal, and reprocesses in real time to composite or Svideo. As it
>> never touches your system, it cannot possibly require Windows. These
>> devices are all complex, expensive, and result in poor quality video.
>> You actually don't have a video output on your laptop?
>
> It does have hdmi output but I have no hdmi devices
> While searching I did see a hdmi to ntsc device but it is very pricey
> As Ben Kamen said I just want to use something like mplayer on my laptop
> and watch it on my old tv
>
> Richard

Here's a converted box I have used with my old laptops.  All things
considered the signal was quite watchable.  Less than $40 plus s&h.
Grandtec PC to TV GEZ-1000. VGA in/out. Svideo out.  Composite video
out. Contains various cables. Res modes up to 1280 by 1024. Requires
no special drivers. Will work fine for you to send mplayer output to
a TV.

I got mine from Beach Audio:
<http://www.beachaudio.com/Grandtec/Gez-1000-p-33482.html>
http://mikedickson.org.uk