[mythtv-users] Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 4 17:47:27 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 04, 2010 10:54:03 am Robert McNamara wrote:

> But your issue is one of distro configuration.  Similar to MythTV,
> however, gone are the days of "Linux runs on all my old hardware, and
> my toaster, etc."  The newer the kernel and distro, the less feasible
> it is to run it on older hardware.

There are Linux distros that are specifically targeted at older or limited hardware. Puppy Linux, DSL and the like, and of
course Knoppix can usually be counted on to boot and run on just about anything.

Debian Lenny will still run on an old NSLU2, even though the modern versions of hardware like that (Plug units today) have
far more memory and faster CPUs.

The mainstream distros, in particular (K)Ubuntu, are targeted at modern machines, but lots of folks want to re-purpose
older hardware instead of tossing it, and things like routers, firewalls, print servers and WiFi access points really don't
require anything you couldn't buy a decade or more ago.

Just think about what we could do with SparcStation IIs, 5s, 10s and 20s, and they are totally obsolete by any modern
standard. Anybody need some Weiteks? I also have some good S-Bus Sun frame buffer cards, they make nice bookends.

Lots of efforts are made towards using older non-Intel Apple hardware too.

Myth, by its nature, tends to use the most modern hardware available, not only basic machines but capture devices and
display adapters, these are devices that are changing fast, and (hopefully) getting better every day.

> But what do I know, I'm only a Myth dev.

We won't hold that against you :-)