Daniel Born born_daniel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 19:59:51 UTC 2010

>> The problem that I and others are referring to is not caused by
>> channel changes: You start listening to a livetv program. It's choppy.
>> pause-unpause and it's fine. Then your show ends and a new one begins,
>> same channel. Choppyness starts again. pause-unpause. your good again.
>
> Are you guys running into these problems using the Myth protocol? I
> noticed similar issues and they completely go away when I configure the
> frontend to use NFS to access recordings instead of the Myth protocol,
> even though NFS is also using TCP.
>
> Might be worth trying to use NFS to access your recordings to confirm
> that using the Myth protocol is not the, or part of the, problem.
>
> Using NFS to access recordings has one issue when watching live TV,
> though: when a show ends you'll end up in the TV menu with the error
> "fail too many times to grab a frame" or something like that. This
> is due to the fact that the file that was being played does not grow
> anymore after a show ends. The Myth protocol handles the transition from
> the old file to the new one but the transition is not handled when using
> NFS. This means that the test "Then your show ends and a new one begins,
> same channel. Choppyness starts again. pause-unpause. your good again."
> won't work.

It is using the Myth protocol. Without having tried NFS to watch live TV, I'm going to guess that it will work correctly (until the show ends that is) because I can watch any recorded shows on both FEs and also my DVD iso's that are accessed from an NFS mount on my remote FE and all that works properly.

Daniel