[mythtv-users] Controlling how far into a recording the preview thumbnail snapshot is taken

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:31:53 UTC 2010

On 6 October 2010 17:09, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> The only way to control the preview pixmap offset in trunk is to set a
> bookmark.

Mike - Many thanks for this very comprehensive reply.

That's because the section where the preview is taken is /not/ marked as an
> advertisement--the commercial detection failed for you in that section.
>  Watch the show and you'll see that the commercial that was used for the
> preview is actually in a section that's not marked as a commercial.

You are quite right- in all cases when I have preview snapshots of
commercials it /is/ the commercial detection that has failed. In all other
cases the previews are fine.

The current approach in trunk is significantly better than the
> single-offset-for-all-recordings approach we previously had.  I did a very
> extensive test with >1300 recordings I have recorded over a period of years
> by backporting the smart preview pixmap offset to 0.23-fixes and running it
> on my production machine.  It was /significantly/ better than using /any/
> single offset for all recordings.  However, (as before) it can fail when
> commercial flagging fails.

Agreed; as a relative newcomer here I don't have anything like this number
of recordings, nor the experience of Myth that you have, but I can now see
that this is clearly a far better method of generating previews, and where
my previews have 'failed' it is a failure of the commercial detection that
has caused the problem.

Thanks again,
George