[mythtv-users] Is this system just too old?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 7 14:29:52 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 07, 2010 08:18:49 am Yann Lehmann wrote:
> On 07.10.2010 15:15, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Ah, thought so, a 700 Mhz. CPU would have trouble with MPEG2.
> >
> > I remember struggling to get XVmC working, and having problems with
> > monochrome OSDs and the like, but it did allow low- powered CPUs to play
> > back SD MPEG2.
>
> I have an old laptop with a PIII 600Mhz, without XVmC (Ati Rage something
> onboard).
>
> It works for sd content, though only at 1x, and skipping back or forward
> imply some patience...

Sounds like a Dell Inspiron 7500, probably a 500/600 CPU. This was the first in that line without a hardware MPEG decoder.

Those were very solid machines. They has user-replaceable graphics modules, but I never saw an updated module available.

The last of the "boxy" designs, after that they seem to have hired out of work car body designers from the 50s.

As I said, marginal. H264 would be totally out of the question.