[mythtv-users] Report: Kworld UB435-Q working well!

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Thu Oct 7 14:52:44 UTC 2010

Gavin Peters [gavin at ytz.ca] wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at cs.duke.edu>wrote:
>
> > Gavin Peters [gavin at ytz.ca] wrote:
> > >
> > > Firstly, the UB435-Q driver isn't found in the Ubuntu 10.04 kernel.  So I
> > > cherry picked from trunk these two revisions to add it:
> >
> > Do you have a DKMS way of doing this (so you can apt-get update w/o
> > fear of a kernel update disabling the tuner?).  I've been using one
> > for about a year now, using a patched dvb tree from before the support
> > made it into trunk.  Kernel updates are ... interesting.
> >

> No; I simply cherry picked the patches that implemented support in my
> earlier message, and built only the required modules in a kernel source
> directory.  I will need to repeat this at each kernel upgrade.  I do not
> know much about the kernel build process, so I did as little as possible to
> get it working for me.
>
> Should we make a DKMS path for this?  This tuner seems desirable to have
> support for, since it will help other people and it's very, very cheap.

DKMS would save a lot of pain in general, but I have no idea how to do
it for just a cherry-picked patchset.  Of course, opening a bug with
Ubuntu to add the support might be easier.  Since you've already done
the backport to the Ubuntu kernel, you're probably in a good position
to open the bug & supply a patch.

> >  > Secondly, I'm surprised: the quality using an indoor antenna with this
> > very
> > > cheap USB tuner is actually better than I had with my HDHomeRun devices.
> >
> > Yes, it uses a high quality LGDT 3304 based digital demod.  The HDHR's
> > digital demod is terrible, especially if you have multipath issues.
>

> Yeah.  I'll try putting my external antenna on one of these, and see how it
> does.  I bet it will be wonderful!  I have significant multipath issues,
> since I am in an urban environment and relatively close to my transmitters.

A kindred soul.  My HDHR does better at pulling in channels 45 miles
away than ones 15 miles away :(

Drew