[mythtv-users] My perfect HTPC

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Oct 7 18:00:34 UTC 2010

On 10/7/2010 11:59 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Sometimes the stock fans can be replaced with quieter ones, if you can find them. A simple change of blade shape can have a
> large effect on the generated noise.
>
> There is a HUGE difference between no airflow and "just a little bit" of airflow. With no airflow at all, the inside of the
> case just keeps getting hotter the longer the machine is on.

Amen.

I recently repaired and retro-fitted a King Radio desktop charger for my Aviation walkie-talkie that has new 2.7AH batteries replacing the original 720mAh batteries that came with the unit that the desktop charger was designed for.

I installed a small fan because the charger runs at full blast now for much longer than originally designed. There are parts that get really hot and just the slightest airflow brought their temps down from 100'C to like 35-40'C. Like -- me BREATHING on the part.

So. Yes. A little airflow goes a long way!

  -Ben