[mythtv-users] My perfect HTPC

Gavin Peters gavin at ytz.ca
Thu Oct 7 19:02:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

>  On 10/7/2010 14:01, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>
>> I need a PCIe slot on the board to add the DVB-S2 tunner, an if it has
>> a mini PCIe slot for a little SSD drive, it will be perfect.
>>

> What use would a SSD be to MythTV?  On a backend, surely you don't intend
> to record to it, and we don't generate enough database traffic for an SSD to
> make sense.  If you're looking for boot times, just put it in standby
> instead.  On a frontend, the only disk usage is going to be on startup, and
> if you're looking to just get rid of a noisy hard drive, use network boot.

Just brainstorming, but power saving?  On my BE, the six drives consume 5.5w
each at idle, for 33W.  Divide by 80%, and we're at 40w or so of load, call
it 30 kwh/month.  If you let the BE drives spin down when not in use, and
record to SSD, you're likely saving quite a bit of power.  You can schedule
migration of recordings to the spinning disks regularly.

Based on my electricity pricing, I'd save about $5/month for this.  That is
$60/yr, and may well pay for a PCI-e SSD; a reasonable one is on newegg now
for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227596&cm_re=PCI_SSD-_-20-227-596-_-Product

50 gigs probably fits my OS, database, and enough slop to save recordings
for a day or so.

- Gavin