[mythtv-users] My perfect HTPC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 7 19:08:56 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:14:41 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
>   On 10/7/2010 14:01, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> > I need a PCIe slot on the board to add the DVB-S2 tunner, an if it has
> > a mini PCIe slot for a little SSD drive, it will be perfect.
>
> What use would a SSD be to MythTV?  On a backend, surely you don't
> intend to record to it, and we don't generate enough database traffic
> for an SSD to make sense.  If you're looking for boot times, just put it
> in standby instead.  On a frontend, the only disk usage is going to be
> on startup, and if you're looking to just get rid of a noisy hard drive,
> use network boot.

That's essentially what I concluded, after a friend gave me a 64GB SSD. I eagerly installed it in a FE, expecting great
things, only to discover that it's really of limited use for Myth systems.

Netbooting is almost as fast, generates less heat and takes up less space (by 100%).

I have another FE that I boot with a 4GB Microdrive (CF form factor) in a CF-to-SATA adapter, but I think I will set that
up to netboot as well.

Perhaps for the DB in a large Myth system's master backend, it might be worthwhile, but even there it would be marginal.
The only time I generate a lot of DB traffic is when doing a program search or the like, but that's not often enough to
justify an SSD.