[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 8 15:05:59 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 08:52:31 am Rob Muggridge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have gigabit in our house (UK) for the ground floor (office, servers and
> main TV).  Rather than run ethernet upstairs just for Myth, I tried the
> Belkin Gigabit powerline adapters:
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165556
>
> I get about ~200Mbit (actual 20MB/sec) data transfer (measured using SCP)
> which has proved faster enough for Myth (my main requirement).  However
> this is over the same ring main which I believe helps the transfer
> speeds.....

Similar to what I'm getting with a pair of Netgear AV+ 200 units. I like the fact that the LEDs on the units help you
locate a pair of outlets that are on the same phase (I think that's what "over the same ring main" means in your neck of
the woods). The LEDs prevent your having to shut off a breaker to determine what phase an outlet is on.

The units do work, but IMHO they are not the best solution (CAT5 is). In a situation where CAT5 is not possible, they are
an option, and often a better one than WiFi.

I've read that most if not all of these type of units use the same chipset, so the differences are probably just features
(LEDs, extra outlets, physical form etc.).

Of course YMMV, and I'm sure performance depends on the quality and age of the power wiring in your home.

So far I have not noticed any interference with X-10.