[mythtv-users] Newegg has sale this weekend on WD HD player

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 8 15:51:14 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 09:33:01 am Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 10/8/2010 10:17 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Friday, October 08, 2010 08:59:01 am Ben Kamen wrote:
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136472
> >>
> >> Interesting little box - I wonder what's under the hood and if anyone
> >> here has experienced/encountered them.
> >
> > I'm not sure which is more common these days, ideas on how to fix the
> > economy or media players for around $99.
> >
> > This is neither a great price or a great player IMHO, especially as long
> > as the original Mykas can be had for $89, and have telnet access to the
> > (Linux) OS.
> >
> > One reviewer complained:
> >
> > "Can't play MKV files that have compressed audio. If you download content
> > that compresses audio you better be a darned good lip reader as WD left
> > out support for compressed audio even though its part of the
> > specification."
> >
> > Many people seem to be unhappy with the firmware updates, or lack
> > thereof.
> >
> > Many others mentioned that the units seem to get very hot, never a good
> > sign for electronics.
> >
> > No support for DVD menus is another fault, especially when many other
> > similar units will do so.
> >
> > Owners seem to either love it or hate it, probably depending on their
> > needs and expectations.
>
> I was reading the comments as well. I thought it would be interesting to
> hear from the group.
>
> But you've summed up what I concluded with -- "run away.... run away...."

If you are looking for something like this, I have a pair of the original Mykas:

http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

These are the original Sigma-based units, not their latest ION-based product (which I believe is over priced).

I have been extremely pleased with them, they have played everything I have thrown at them, with the exception of DTS
audio, but you can feed the SPDIF to a receiver to deal with that if you want.

I think the fact that I bought a second one says something. I don't know how long the "closeout" of the original units
will last, but for $89 it's one of the better products I have bought.

There are of course other "NMTs" (Networked Media Tanks), Popcorn Hour comes to mind, and many are Sigma-based.

Myka will play ISOs directly, VOBs, M2TS (BR rips, using the AC3 audio), VIDEO_TS folders, and anything else I have tried.
It supports DVD menus as well.

I liked the fact that I could just telnet into the Linux OS of the Myka, and see what was happening and play around. Of
course so can anyone else, make sure your network is secure :-)

LOTS of under-$100 media players these days, the problem is choosing. What we need is one that will run a full Myth
frontend, but the Sigma chip will remain unusable by anything but NDAed proprietary software blobs, I believe.

Still, access to the OS allows a lot of flexibility in moving files around, if you buy it with the Myka software you get a
built-in torrent downloader, not something that interests me. I'm sure other options come to mind for many folks.