[mythtv-users] Will a 0.23.1 frontend be compatible with 0.23-fixes backends?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 02:44:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I'm thoroughly confused.I suppose I could be ok that it's running older
> libraries or something since, as you said, 10.04 was out before 0.23, but
> why the heck would the version show up as 0.23 if it's not a true 0.23? To
> take this a step further, are you saying that when I upgrade my systems to
> 10.10, it will bring Myth to 0.23.1, but when 0.24 comes out I'll remain at
> 0.23.1 but the version number listed in my logs will change to 0.24?
>
> I think my brain just exploded.

It's not as complicated as all of that.  For better or for worse, as
soon as Ubuntu starts tracking trunk after a release, they bump their
package version number to what the next version will be-- so trunk
packages on Ubuntu right now are called ".24" even though no such
thing exists yet.  The packages that 10.04 went out with were titled
".23" but were basically trunk packages from a ways before .23
actually existed.  Unfortunately this means that a) All the bugs that
got fixed after that, and there were many, were blamed on MythTV (even
though we would never have released with those issues) and b) everyone
running Ubuntu/Mythbuntu has to go through a special, somewhat
unintuitive step of finding, downloading, and installing a particular
repository package to get to what is *actually* .23, rather than it
being pushed to htem as an update automatically.  It's something to do
with Ubuntu package update policies and something some of us are not
very happy about.  As a result, we've talked to the Mythbuntu guys and
asked that this kind of thing not happen again (as it did for both .22
and .23) and instead that they go with .23.1 for their next release as
.24 will still be either pre-release or just-released, and neither
team wants the blame or confusion of having delivered development code
presented as release code.

Robert