[mythtv-users] Gnome Panel Myth TV status indicator

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 03:50:14 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 07:10 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have added a tool tip that displays the next scheduled program. Format is not very nice, but it is a start.

> Hmmm, I might just be a dummy but not getting it working. I copied the
> files to their proper locations stated in mythstatus.py and ran the
> script, it run for exactly 60 seconds then quit without any output -
> see my highly technical benchmarking "trick".
> mrplow at dan-desktop:~$ date;mythstatus.py ;date
> Sat Oct  9 19:04:39 PDT 2010
> Sat Oct  9 19:05:39 PDT 2010
> mrplow at dan-desktop:~$
> I went to add the panel which looked like it was created properly but
> then I recieved this error:
> The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_MythstatusApplet".
> Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
>
> Dan

This is a gnome panel application, so to run it normally, you would right click on one of your panels and select "Add to
Panel..." Then select MythTV Status from the list.

There is a way to run it in debug mode which is to run ./mythtvstatus.py run-in-window. This will run the program in a window
and print any error messages to the terminal from which you ran the program.

I'm using Ubuntu, and don't really know what is necessary to make this distribution agnostic, so if you are running a different
distribution, the file locations may need to be tweaked, and the server file may need to be edited to reflect that.

I have not done any cosmetic work on it yet so it is not very pretty. I thought it more important to get the functionality right
first. I have a long way to go before it does everything I want though.