[mythtv-users] N220GT nVidia Drivers

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 19:45:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 12:48 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> Hell, I still have an original (first year) mits 73" hdtv rp that only
>> has analog and a single component input..  My scaler/doubler/switcher
>> went out a while back, but since only the youngsters use it for video
>> games, it works for it's purpose.   Movies really look like crap
>> though (worse than SD sets)..  I'm with you - I hope the tubes go out
>> soon so I can toss it and noone cries  :)
>
> Well, that reminds me of that set I had in 93-95.
>
> Tube. 16:9. About 80kg. Good old analog only. HD.
>
> Yes, HD. At least the HD of the time, 1250 lines. Yes, lines! Still
> using analog scanning...
>
> The HD "standard" was HD-MAC. Needless to say, there wasn't much
> content, just some Roland Garos game and the 1992 Olympic games.
>
> The government at the time was repeating that France was at the top of
> technology, like HDTV. So a company had to build and sell an HD capable
> TV. The company I worked for was it.
>
> That TV was outrageously expensive, but I got a demo model that must has
> been on demo at the Olympics for peanuts. That was still a big TV for
> the time, the first in 16:9, tons of good features for HD.
>
> The main issue with this TV was the line doubler for SD content. Can you
> imagine a line doubler in an analog only context? That thing broke
> constantly. I was lucky to have access to the engineering department for
> that model.
>
> The last double broke a last time when the engineering department
> closed. I dumped the TV...
>
> The poor souls who bought that thing at full price...
>
> I can't find any reference of this TV on the net... I guess that it is a
> good sign that the technology was extremely short lived... I found this,
> though:
>
> http://www.live-production.tv/case-studies/sports/brief-review-hdtv-europe-early-90%E2%80%99s.html

Nice!  Yeah - I have never even heard of most of that stuff!  I always
thought it was crazy growing up (well, mid 80's) that I had a PC that
could do better pictures than a TV..  It took several years to
understand why, but I actually cannot believe they did not at least
leap frog on this round...  Letting the big 5 dictate what cameras
they are willing to use and at what resolutions..  Oh well, I guess
they do make almost all of the mainstream movies, so it's their
right..

-Greg