[mythtv-users] Report: Watch out! UB435-Q V2 is NOT the same as UB435-Q

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 12 23:52:02 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 05:35:12 pm Gavin Peters wrote:
> Last week, I sent out a report that the UB435-Q tuner works well.  It does!
>  It's a great tuner.
>
> HOWEVER, I bought two more from newegg based on that success, and what I
> got was a UB435-Q V2.  This is a totally different device, and I don't
> know yet if there's drivers (maybe Jarod will know and follow up here).
>
> I examined the box and on mine, there's a difference in a sticker on the
> back, near the bottom.  In an area labelled "SN" is a white sticker with a
> product code, the words "MADE IN CHINA", and a barcode.
>
> On the GOOD UB435, the text at the top of this sticker says: KW-UB435-Q
>
> On the I DON'T KNOW UB435, the text at the top of this sticker says:
> KW-UB435-Q V2

Vendors often change hardware, and just change the (Windows) drivers that they ship with the product.

Even the venerable old PVRs suffered from this, you could never be sure what tuner you would get with a specific model card.

I have half a dozen PVRs, and almost as many tuner models.

The WRT-54 routers also came in many different hardware flavors.

Usually there is at least a clue on the box, it seems you have found the clue in your case.

But unfortunately the early purchasers of such changed hardware get burned. The vendor doesn't consider non-Windows users,
just the cost of the hardware.

Hopefully this can be straightened out. You might also contact NewEgg and complain, but I think the best you can hope for
is your money back, unless it's a known problem and revised drivers are available or become so.