[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!? ***** AUTO-REPLY *****

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 13 22:26:34 UTC 2010

  On 10/13/2010 06:11 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
> On 10/13/10, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
>>> With 0.23 I'm getting much higher CPU usage when recording (avg 30-40%
>>> on my P3 900Mhz, previously about 10-20% on 0.21).
>>> This means I can't do "chase play" which I used to be able to do.
>>>
>>> I've done a ps -eLf and can see 32 yes 32 backend threads....
>>>
>>> Is this normal? Can it be reduced to get the CPU usage down a bit?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Steve
>> *** FOLLOWING MESSAGE HAS BEEN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED ***
>>
>> The recipient of this message is not available and/or is out of the
>> office, but the content of this message has been parsed heuristically
>> and found to match criteria in our database.
>>
>> This message serves as a warning not to upgrade your MythTV DVR (tm)
>> beyond the current release.  Based on the natural language parsing
>> performed by MythLanguage(tm), your hardware appears to have been
>> manufactured before the discovery of fire.  System date is currently
>> 10/13/2010.  This is a friendly reminder that modern software cannot
>> run perpetually on ancient hardware.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> MythLanguage(tm)
> This list really has changed. 3 years ago when i first started using
> myth people were glad to help each other out. Esoteric hardware was
> seen as a challenge. Stupid remarks like that were not seen.
> Yes I know my hardware is a bit long in the tooth. I'm not that daft.
> So what? I'm trying to keep this old hardware going and save some
> landfill. Quite frankly if a p3 is not fast enough for sd then myth is
> getting too fat. Perhaps i should look to microsoft for something
> leaner?
>
> Anyone got any sensible suggestions to debug and tweak the system?

Actually, that post simply re-iterated the solution you provided yourself...

>  With 0.23 I'm getting much higher CPU usage when recording (avg 30-40%
>  on my P3 900Mhz, previously about 10-20% on 0.21).
>  This means I can't do "chase play" which I used to be able to do.

so, you said that your 2000/2001-vintage hardware is having problems
running modern MythTV.  Therefore, don't run modern MythTV (or upgrade
your hardware).

Some of us don't like the idea of constraining modern MythTV to only the
basic tasks that can be accomplished with 10-yr old hardware.

Some of us want MythTV to do more than it did in 0.21.

Some of us want progress.

Those of you who want your grandfather's MythTV--unhampered by
progress--can get exactly that by running your grandfather's version of
MythTV.

Mike