[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!? ***** AUTO-REPLY *****

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:30:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> But, I would still like to know if 32 backend threads is normal or not, and if so, what all those threads are doing to
> enhance our Myth experience.

Getting an accounting of what every threaded activity in the backend
is explained to you is really a) asking for the impossible without
knowing the configuration and b) would be silly anyway, since number
of threads has *no* direct bearing on CPU use, as Gavin has explained,
meaning c) it's unfair to ask that we account for the nitty gritty of
the code if you're not willing to read the soruce yourself to see how
it works.  Every recorder for each card is a thread.  Every time we
write a file to the disk, that is done in a thread.  The uPnP/HTTP
server will run in 5+ threads.  The backend will fork processes like
mythfilldatabase into a thread.  This is just a portion of what the
backend can and does do.  So, to speak very very broadly, 30+ threads
is perfectly possible, and has no more bearing on the quantity of CPU
used than it did at the beginning of this thread.

It's frustrating when people suddenly show up demanding answers to
questions that they themselves don't understand.  .23 is 2+ years
newer than .21, and the backend has taken on lots more functionality.
If people can't live with it taking a commensurate increase in
resource use, they can and should remain at .21.  If you want to know
what changed in those two years, it's reasonable that you have to seek
those answers in the changelog.

Robert