[mythtv-users] N220GT nVidia Drivers

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:40:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:
> Wow, people like to do things the hard way.
>
>>If you are in USA/Canada, there is no need to add channels by hand for the PVR-500.
>>You don't need to scan, either.  Simply setup a lineup at schedulesdirect, and pull it with mythfilldatabase.
>>I'm pretty sure that this is covered well in the documentation.
>
> Did that, nothing shows up and I don't believe it's covered or even well covered in the wiki.
> Where do you see anything about scanning channels in the wiki?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_PVR-500
>
> There is only a tiny section on how to configure the card.
>
>  mythtv-setup, define 2 x PVR150
>
> Select new Capture Card and configure the first card as a hardware MPEG-2 device like the PVR150 (Remember the PVR-500 is dual PVR-150's so you will need to configure two capture cards. The two cards will have the same tuner (which may be called tuner0 or tuner1, depending on your version of mythtv), but different devices (e.g. /dev/video0 and /dev/video1).
>

> That ain't much to someone new to it like me.

I would strongly suggest trying the PVR outside of myth.  There are
ways to do a test capture and then play that back using other tools
like mplayer/xine/vlc.  Once you can actually capture, then you can
integrate it into your myth system, which should be fairly trivial.

They are somewhat out of date, but Jarod has written the bible on
getting this stuff working on fedora or red hat flavor linux.  I use a
PVR-350, but I imagine the method to capture is pretty similar to a
500 (although the latter is dual-tuner).  You should check his guides
out at http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=24

The key (as others have mentioned) is to do as much of the stuff
outside of myth, make sure its working, and then integrate it into
myth.  This should be no different.