[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:41:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In fact, there was a discussion today about increasing our formal
>> hardware requirements considerably to prevent hamstringing ourselfs
>> with some of the UI and features we have planned.  Myth's hardware
>> requirements are likely to increase in a non-trivial way going
>> forward.
>>
>> Robert
>
> Would you mind elaborating on this just a bit (as to what end-users
> can expect in terms of future-proofing)?

Nothing that has been hashed out yet.  When and if we formalize any
sort of strict hardware requirement, we will make announcements to
that effect, it won't come as a surprise.  It's just at the forefront
of my mind as people stand aghast that an 11 year old CPU performs
less well (and not even *badly*) on three month old MythTV.  I wanted
people to realize that not upgrading is an option, and that they might
see those hardware requirements change considerably in the future.  I
want people used to the idea that we are not necessarily going to be
going out of our way to support very old or very low processing power
CPUs or GPUs, and that if they choose to upgrade, they need to realize
that meeting the minimum requirements is something *they* will need to
take responsibility for, rather than making it the responsibility of
the Myth devs when hardware becomes obsolete when paired with the
current version of MythTV.

Robert