[mythtv-users] How MANY backend threads!?!?!? ***** AUTO-REPLY *****

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 13 23:43:16 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 13, 2010 04:56:59 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
>   On 10/13/2010 06:40 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > The modern trend has been towards more power efficient hardware, not
> > faster CPU speeds, as more and more people want to be kind to the
> > planet, and realize that not all computers users are gamers.
> >
> > The cost of running a Myth BE 24/7 needs to be taken into account, so the
> > more information we can get about minimum hardware requirements and ways
> > to reduce power consumption is very topical, and probably of interest to
> > most if not all myth users.
>
> Yes, but only in the world of Intel marketing does low-power-usage mean
> low-performance.  It's just a scheme to get people to pay more for less
> (pronounced, "Atom").
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/448321#448321

Quite so, and "ION" does not necessarily mean "Atom" except in Market-Speak. "ION" is just a small subset of VDPAU-capable
video hardware with an Atom CPU, but there's nothing to prevent a more reasonable CPU being married to such video
hardware, any more than a "Centrino" machine can't have a better WiFi radio or mobo chipset.

The advances of the ARM-based "Plug" machines will continue I'm sure, look what we did with the venerable old NSLU2, lots
of very capable PBXs run on them, as well as video capture machines, and today's Plugs very much outperform the 266Mhz.
(or even 133) ARM in the slug.