[mythtv-users] Cheap IR Blaster

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 14 14:48:38 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 14, 2010 08:41:40 am Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 14, 2010 08:12:46 am Raymond Norton wrote:
> >> That would be key, that it works with Myth. Can anyone confirm it does?
> >
> > I only know it says:
> >
> > "Compatible with Microsoft XP Media Center Edition Software".
> >
> > This *might* imply it is the same as the MCE stuff, but that might only
> > be with some sort of custom driver for Windows.
> >
> > If anyone knows more I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.
>
> The question is, does it work with LIRC? If so, then it will work with
> MythTV. I've found even though something may LOOK identical on the
> outside, the innards can be different, and incompatible. I have three
> 'MCE' remotes with receivers, two of them work in LIRC, one does not
> (yet, the support is in LIRC trunk, but hasn't made it to any distros
> yet).

This is probably the typical Windows philosophy, use whatever chipset is available cheaply that week, and adjust the
drivers.

Easy when you have NDAs that allow you access to the chip's innards, difficult when you have to reverse engineer things.

Still, the LIRC folks usually do a remarkable job.

Maybe I should order two, and if they don't work ship one to the LIRC project?