[mythtv-users] Cheap IR Blaster

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Thu Oct 14 15:08:49 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2010 08:41:40 am Tom Lichti wrote:

>>> I only know it says:
>>>
>>> "Compatible with Microsoft XP Media Center Edition Software".
>>>
>>> This *might* imply it is the same as the MCE stuff, but that might only
>>> be with some sort of custom driver for Windows.
>>>
>>> If anyone knows more I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.
>>>
>> The question is, does it work with LIRC? If so, then it will work with
>> MythTV. I've found even though something may LOOK identical on the
>> outside, the innards can be different, and incompatible. I have three
>> 'MCE' remotes with receivers, two of them work in LIRC, one does not
>> (yet, the support is in LIRC trunk, but hasn't made it to any distros
>> yet).
>>

> This is probably the typical Windows philosophy, use whatever chipset is available cheaply that week, and adjust the
> drivers.
>
> Easy when you have NDAs that allow you access to the chip's innards, difficult when you have to reverse engineer things.
>
> Still, the LIRC folks usually do a remarkable job.
>
> Maybe I should order two, and if they don't work ship one to the LIRC project?

I hope that you have better luck than I have had with recent hp stuff.
IMHO they have taken "cheap" down to a level where the items are not
even usable anymore.
I recently bought a nice looking hp headset and the right side adjusting
bracket shattered the very first time that I put it on.
Paper thin, brittle plastic, JPJ as in just plain junk!
I have also heard complaints about the HP/Compaq laptops and believe I'm
toning this part down big time just to stay out of trouble.