[mythtv-users] Change Audio output from line out to hdmi

Amol Deshpande amol001 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 07:23:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

To be very frankly I'm new to *nix. I've installed ubuntu 10.10 with
mythtv 0.23 (both latest) . Audio is perfect in ubuntu with HDMI.

pulse
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, INTEL HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

and also able to listen audio over HDMI with following command
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Video from my WinTV HVR 1100 is also perfect. In mythtv my aduio goes
to line out ( able to hear with headphone on ) but not able to change
it to HDMI. Most of the document talks about .asoundrc & asound.conf,
which i think no more required for mythtv 0.23. Apart from mythtv, I'm
able to play audio over hdmi from other music players.

Thanks,

Amol