[mythtv-users] FCC releases CableCard changes

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Sat Oct 16 20:47:53 UTC 2010

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/15/2010 15:25, Phil Bridges wrote:
>> Anybody care to pontificate on how this affects a MythTV / CableCard
>> collaboration?
>
> None at all.  The release deals with the availability, pricing, and
> installation of customer owned CableCard hardware.  It makes no
> mention on access restrictions on content made available through
> CableCard devices.
>
> You'll be able to lease a card, and have a tech that is properly
> trained on how to install it, but you're still going to be limited to
> the 'copy freely' content.

I own three DCH3416 STB + DVR boxes, (long & boring story ) and for
about a year used one of them with a M-card which I rented from the
cable co.

About two months ago, I received a letter from the CC that said that
they were dropping that service and gave me a negative two weeks to turn
in their M-card and promised a hefty charge if I failed to do so.

This, of course, bricked the boxes.

I still have the M-cards that came with the boxes and maybe I'll just
try each of them to see what happens.

I pay an extra monthly charge for HD so I can't see how using any of
these boxes might be seen as theft of services.

I wonder what effect the FCC 10-181 decision might have on this situation?

Any comments or ideas appreciated!
Thanks