[mythtv-users] DVB - W5 (4DTV) & KU/C-Band Question

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Wed Oct 20 15:08:25 UTC 2010

> I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in the US the available
> satellite internet "solutions" are pretty much
> useless for IPTV. Severe bandwidth caps, limited speeds and high prices
> mean it's only a viable option for people with no
> other option.

I'm in MN. I'm also involved in satellite sales in that it's a small sideline that my company has, reselling satellite based Internet access.

I agree with you but I also believe that this will have to change if they want to stay competitive. We get to meet and talk with fairly high level people in the industry so get some insight on the challenges. One big problem is how many users are put on transponders in order to make profits. There is always bandwidth and low latency available but it comes at a price.

As everything goes IP, providers will have no choice but to up the levels to consumers or no one will buy or will get out of it the minute they realize it's useless. We get a lot of complaints from people who use up their bandwidth too quickly and can't use the net. That's very frustrating.

It's all about consumers demanding services that are fairly priced and that aren't stifled by their own providers right.