[mythtv-users] v4l Drivers

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Wed Oct 20 17:20:05 UTC 2010

> aplay -l will show you what devices you have that alsa is recognizing.
> aplay -L will give you a more deined view I think (not in front of my
> setup), and you should be able to make an educated decision.  The list
> of entries that show up in that menu *are not* necessarily cards in
> your system.  You may have to type the entry in manually to get it to
> work.

I would try to make an educated guess but I don't see anything that makes sense to me :).
I did go ahead and try many if not all of the options shown in the audio section of the front end and no audio yet.
In the desktop, I also made sure that the Sound section is using the right (and only) audio device along with muting input.

Looking at dmesg;

input: USB Audio as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.3/input/input4
generic-usb 0003:0D8C:0006.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [USB Audio] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2/input3
usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700

This tells me that the device is /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.3/input/input4
I've never seen a device named like this, usually, they are /dev/video0, something along those lines but with /dev/ at the start.

Looking at aplay;

# aplay -l
card 0: Audio [USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# aplay -L
default
front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

I have my output connected to Front Out on the device so that seems to be the
front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB Audio, USB Audio
    Front speakers

...section of this output.