[mythtv-users] .23/.24 NFS mounting / Storage Groups

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 20 23:56:41 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 05:44:39 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:

> RAID0 is actually a detriment to recording performance.  If given
> independent drives, MythTV will default to balancing the load evenly
> across multiple drives.  Each drive will only have to seek between the
> recordings it is directly handling.  When doing RAID0,  every disk will
> be dealing with every recording, seeking back and forth between each,
> and your total throughput diminishes accordingly.

Quite true, but commflagging is mostly a read operation, which RAID0 will improve, though there will be some writing to the
database as well, which is the reason I keep the DB separate from media storage.

If you are recording something at the same time, that operation will in fact suffer, as you pointed out.

It's a complex equation involving many factors. I figure starting off with things as much in your favor as possible
(separate OS/DB and media), "couldn't hurt", unless you are unable to do that for some reason. A drive large enough to
hold the OS and database is very cheap these days (40GB is overkill), and even SSDs in that size range are not all that
costly.