[mythtv-users] Cheap Remote and blaster

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 21 13:12:23 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:58:08 pm John Haywood wrote:

> Encouraging news - we'll soon find out as I've ordered one. For 18 buckies,
> best offer, I'll be test bunny!
>
> I already have a question, though :) There is a remote, a usb receiver and
> an ir emitter. What does an ir emitter do and where does it plug in?

Um, it emits IR? :-) Think of it as a computer-controlled remote control.

Used for controlling STBs, satellite receivers and the like, primarily for changing channels, but it allows your computer
to do anything a user could do with a remote control in his hand.

The emitter plugs into a jack on the transceiver (receiver) unit. Often the transceiver has two jacks, so you can use two
emitters to control 2 units. The emitter head is placed where it can see the IR sensor on the device to be controlled,
often fastened directly to the front of the unit.