[mythtv-users] Mac Mini as Frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 21 15:47:12 UTC 2010

The Mac Minis were always too expensive for me to seriously consider using one as a Myth frontend.

Now I'm seeing refurbed Minis for $350, still pricey but getting closer to the ION units. You do get an optical drive,
something that's missing from my Revo.

I see they have Intel GMA-950 graphics. Is that usable under Linux for HD?

I also think there is an OSX F/E version that's floating around.

So I have three questions:

Is a Mini with the Intel graphics a practical frontend machine?

Is it better to install Linux or use OS/X on a Mini for F/E use?

Are the Atom/ION units better choices for a F/E? Perhaps with an external optical drive?

I have a Revo 1600 that works great, but I like to experiment.

Other thoughts?