[mythtv-users] {Spam?} Mac Mini as Frontend?

Christian Reynolds cyberdoc at astro.cmreynolds.org
Fri Oct 22 14:34:17 UTC 2010

Hello All,

I have used Mac Minis (2009) for two front end machines... gave one to Grandma, and obtained a second unit to replace the first one.  The 2009 model has 5 USB, 1 FIrewire 800, and 2 display ports.

I use the MacMini with the optical cable going to the stereo amplifier, and have the network cable going to a GigaBit switch.  I use a Fedora Myth TV Backend, and OSX Mac Mini Frontend

I found that the Mini was a bit pricey, but I cannot argue: it works, and it looks good.  We run it under OS X Snow Lep, and I am thankful for the people that ported the program over.  Psychosis has front end software that works with the Apple Remote.  Yes, the remote is a bit limited, but it does what I want it to: move from stored program to stored program.  Our family doesn't use MythTV for watching live TV, thus I am not changing channels and needing numbers and so forth.  We also leave MythTV for iPhoto and iTunes when we so wish it.  I keep a keyboard right next to the TV, and if I really needed to type in the seat, I can go get a Wireless USB keyboard and be done with it.

My *only* issue with the OS X setup is the DTS stereo problem: Under MythTV .21 I could leave the OS X Frontend on 5.1 Digital, and it would convert sound accordingly.  Upgrading to .23, we get buzzing audio if the recording is not DTS... so something is wrong, and it is documented on the MythWikis.  Annoying?  Yes.  Show Stopper?  No.  When the kids want to watch their shows, I go into Myth Setup, and change it to Stereo.  Watch their shows.  When I want to watch CSI or Bones in DTS, I go and switch it back to 5.1

My wife and I also have MacBook Pro laptops, and she can watch her show on her laptop, and I can watch my show on my laptop.  I did a test: recorded two shows, and watched three at the same time.  Hard drives were obviously heavily utilized, but the system got the job done without dropping packets / frames / audio.

Yes, we are an Apple family.  I wish Apple was built on a Linux core instead of BSD, but that's ok too.  More opportunity to learn a new OS.  I don't own a Windows machine, but get paid to fix them at work.  I utilize OpenSuse and CentOS at work... so am well versed in linux.

Would I consider having the MacMini be a dual frontend / backend machine?

No.  The hard drive is too small (200 GB?) and our family watches shows on our schedule.  Yes, I was watching the Winter Olympics in May....  I don't want to break something by cracking open the case and installing a larger one.  Besides, with 4 tuners (I have 2 HD Homeruns) having a second hard drive (spindle) is great to distribute all those writes and not give the hard drive a heart attack.  Yes, I could use USB or Firewire to external devices, but I like the split machine paradigm: I can have the server out of sight in the basement, and have a simple cute Apple next to the TV and be done with it.

What about that second display port?

I don't see a use for it in this application, but I wonder if I could have two instances of MythTV open, and run two shows... such as two football games at once, or football + something for the kids.  I don't have a place to put a second monitor, so this idea hasn't gone too far.

MY NUTSHELL: OSX on the 2009 model works well as a front end with the exception of the Digital vs. Stereo audio option.

Christian