[mythtv-users] Harmony 700?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Oct 22 23:11:42 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Close" <aclose at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Harmony 700?

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So do all the Harmony remotes do that annoying thing where they have
> "actions" like "Watch TV" or "Watch a DVD" that it forces you to use
> or do some treat you like an adult and let you do things manually?

>i think they all have some degree of that.  but those buttons can be programmed any way you like.  i use the
>'watch tv' button to turn on the tv, receiver and set the receiver to Myth.  i use the
>'watch dvd' button to turn on the tv, receiver, set the receiver to dvd, and turn on the dvd player.  i think i use the
>'listen to radio' button to turn on the tv, receiver, blu-ray and set receiver to blu-ray...

>i like the generic A, B, C, D or red, yellow, blue buttons on my old hauppage remote, but it works.

Is there a way to program the Hauppage remote buttons, eg the A, B, C and D to do effectively the same thing as the harmony macros?
I suspect one maybe able to through LIRC however how is something I have yet to figure out.  To do it properly it seems to me one
needs to have the power button working to turn on / unsuspend mythtv, to then allow LIRC to do its stuff with a second key press.  I
presume the harmony macros allow it to all happen with one key press, which is desirable, acknowledging that there are times when
flexibility is also required to control individual items.

I guess to mimic the harmony functionality with one key press would ideally involve an independent and low power IR computer/IR
receiver / server that also ran LIRC, received and interpreted the single key presses into a series of actions (e.g. turn on TV
display, Turn on Amplifier system, Turn on mythtv FE and select recordings menu) I am also considering is a small low power series
of Ethernet connected PIC like processors that each have WOL functionality connected to mains relays (that when off are fully off.
Why?  Because the power drain of many units in standby is cumulative and significant)  Ideally one might combine all this in one
unit however that might not be so easy.  For multiple WOL in one device needs multiple MAC addresses.  (Mental note: check if
multiple MAC addresses can be assigned to one Ethernet interface and separately interpreted)