[mythtv-users] Start Myth frontend on different display?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 17:05:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
> >  On 10/3/2010 16:03, James Crow wrote:

> >> I start myhtfrontend on my secondary display. My system is setup for
> >> TwinView. My primary display is :0.0 and my secondary display is :0.1.
> >> When I start mythfrontend I pass it the option of '-display :0.1'.
> >
> > You are running two independent screens on your X server.  On such a
> setup,
> > you cannot drag windows from one screen to another as described by the
> OP.
>
> In which case the -geometry setting would be the logical one to use.
>
> drag it to where you want it and then use xwininfo  to get the
> co-ordinates to put into -geometry.
>
> Thanks, you guys rule. I dragged the window and xwininfo gave me:

 xwininfo: Window id: 0x28009c6 (has no name)

  Absolute upper-left X:  1680
  Absolute upper-left Y:  1
  Relative upper-left X:  1680
  Relative upper-left Y:  1
  Width: 1282
  Height: 1054
  Depth: 0
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOnly
  Colormap: 0x0 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: yes
  Corners:  +1680+1  --2+1  --2--5  +1680--5
  -geometry 1282x1054--2+1

And after a little trial and error I was able to start fullscreen on my
second display with the following:

mythfrontend -geometry 1280x1024+1680+1

There seem to be some weird horizontal effects when there's a lot of motion
on the display, but I'm ok with it for now. Maybe after .24 comes out I'll
take a closer look. Thanks for the help!