[mythtv-users] CPU performance governor vs disabling AMD Cool n Quiet

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 01:59:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:32 PM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
> Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> I did not have any issues like this, but I did find that the cpu was
>> underpowered while governed to powersave (which it almost always was)
>> and the osd activated, etc..  I solved it by locking core 4 to
>> 1800MHz, and using taskset to bind init to processors 0-2 (which makes
>> all processes spawned from init (almost the whole system)) run on cpu
>> cores 1,2,3 and then assigning mythfrontend to core 4.  I no longer
>> get "skips or jerks" when I activate the OSD, but it sounds like this
>> may apply in your situation as well.
>
> Hmm, interesting ideas. I'm guessing you're using the userspace
> governor. Was your goal to get the most performance with the least
> power, or just to eliminate the skips & jerks?

skips and jerks..  I use this machine for a lot of VMs too, so when
they are running ironically I do not have this issue sine the CPUs are
scaled appropriately..

> Are you using an nVidia 8300 IGP?

220GT

> I'm not sure how applicable this approach would be to me since the
> computer in question only has two cores & no hyper threading.

Well, since from my observations, none of the mythtv processes are
truly capable of multi threaded operation across CPUs, the speed of a
single core is very relevant.

>> I was also given some links that would allow to let mythtv alter the
>> cpu frequency as well, but I have not gotten that granular yet (but I
>> plan to as soon as I deploy this machine to the rest of the house)..
>
> I might be inclined to experiment more with my own mbe/fe, but since the
> computer in question is 25 miles away and I administer it remotely, I'd
> prefer a solution that doesn't require a lot of experimentation.

IMO, that make it more approachable...