[mythtv-users] CPU performance governor vs disabling AMD Cool n Quiet

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sun Oct 24 02:15:36 UTC 2010

I've struggled with this problem for a while.  I had two frontends with
AMD Athlon X2's, with integrated graphics.  Setting the ondemand
governor to a minimum speed of 1.8 GHz is the best workaround without
changing CPUs.  Using performance governor, or turning off Cool'n'Quiet
in the BIOS, makes the CPU run toasty, causing the fans to be on full
most of the time.

I have found that the best solution is just switch to a different CPU.
The Athlon II, Phenom, Phenom II, and the newer 45nm Semprons don't
reduce the bus speed with the CPU speed, so you can let the CPU throttle
all the way back without affecting VDPAU playback on integrated
graphics.  The Semprons are also cheap, at about $35 at Newegg.

In the end, I switched CPUs, to a Phenom in one frontend (for good Flash
playback), and a Sempron for the bedroom computer, so it stays nice and
cool (and quiet).

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin