[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Recordings Randomly Breaking

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Mon Oct 25 19:05:47 UTC 2010

> Two 0.21 FE/BE combos, each in different owner's homes in the Comcast market
> in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Each box has it's own HD Homerun for recordings.
> On 10/16/2010, after many months of flawless HD Homerun recordings, both
> boxes inexplicably began 'recording' 0-byte files from the HDHomeRuns.
> On 10/23/2010, both systems' HD Homeruns went back to recording without
> issue.  Both system owners were away from home from 10/10/2010 through
> 10/24/2010, so no changes, reboots, or other actions were taken on either
> system before or during this problem.  Only the lone cat-sitter reported
> that watching LiveTV (via the HD Homerun) worked fine during this period.

I can't say that turning on any level of logging in record or file turned up
anything useful. I combed through the logs looking for anything suspicious
and came up w/ nothing. So I did the rescan procedure just to see if I
could restore function, that worked. But I still don't know why. It is spooky
that it happened at roughly the same time for almost all of the reporters
of this issue. But there seems to be no real connecting thread except the
time frame and the use of QAM.

Has anyone noticed the problem coming back after rescanning the
channels?

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/