[mythtv-users] Program Finder UI comment

Tue Oct 26 12:10:21 UTC 2010

Hi all,

  I just wanted to make a quick comment about the mythUI.  I'm using mythtv 0.23 on ubuntu lucid, so this is perhaps a little out of date.  When I updated to Karmic (I've forgotten which version of Myth that was) the UI in the Program Finder changed slightly, and I think it got worse.  I'd like to point out the issue I have and why I preferred the old behaviour.

  My guide provider prefixes all movies in the guide with "Movie:".  This is actually quite nice as it makes it very easy to see what movies will be showing in the next little while to see what you want to record, without having to search through the entire program guide.  There are about 100 movies listed at any one time, and about 60 programs beginning with 'm' before the movies start.

Old behaviour:
  Select a letter, hit right, select a program, hit right, select a time, hit right to get the recording screen, move up and down to get to the correct sub-menus.

New behaviour:
  Select a letter, hit right, select a program, hit right, select a time, hit enter (but no longer right) to get to the recording screen, move up and down to get to the correct sub-menus.

When everything works, there isn't much different between them.  The problem comes when the remote misses a button press.  With the old behaviour, there were few button presses that were harder to undo than to do.  With the new behaviour I seem to find myself often in a situation where I have to do a lot of work to get back where I was.

The problem is that if you hit 'right' from a program time, you used to get to the recording screen, but now the cursor moves back over to the 'first letter' selector.  If you don't catch this and then move up and down, then you move to another letter and back.  This will take you back to the top of the list of 'm' programs and you'll have to scroll an average of 100 shows down to get back where you started.

Suggested fixes:
  - make 'right' from the show time open the recording menu rather than loop back to the first letter selector, or,
  - make each letter remember where it was in the list of programs.  If I was half-way down the 'm's and I switch to the n's and straight back to the m's, then take me back to the same spot in the 'm's.

If I got around to making a patch to fix this, would there be any chance of it being applied?

Cheers,

Will        :-}