[mythtv-users] Program ID duplicate matching

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 26 19:21:25 UTC 2010

  On 10/26/2010 07:20 AM, Stephen Robertson wrote:
> I'm noticing that ITV seem to be giving two different IDs to two
> showings of the same show:(My guide data is EIT from both DVB-T and
> DVB-S)
>
> The Xtra Factor Sun Oct 31 09:00pm to 10:00pm ITV2 www.itv.com/24620469
> The Xtra Factor Sun Oct 31 10:00pm to 11:00pm ITV2+1 www.itv.com/639780469
>
> If my understanding is correct then because there are valid program
> ID's then the Duplicate check Method, "Subtitle then Description" in
> this case, is ignored.

Exactly.

>    This means that both showings are scheduled to
> record  Is there a way to override program ID duplicate matching to
> save having to add a manual override.  I would hate for this program
> most of all to cause something else to be missed.

You could create a "this channel" recording rule (which will match on
callsign) if the "wrong" program IDs are always on a specific channel.

If there's something recognizable about the "wrong" program IDs (or,
technically, anything else that's consistently different about the
listing), you could create a Power Recording rule that explicitly
ignores those episodes.

Another option is to create a Power Recording rule with duplicate
matching disabled and do the duplicate matching in the rule, itself.
This is a more-challenging approach in that it requires some rather
complex SQL and a join.  There's an example clause in the Power
Recording rule editor called, "Re-record SDTV in HDTV (disable duplicate
matching)," that gives an idea of how it would be done; however, you'd
have to change a lot to make it do what you want (using the oldrecorded
table).

Probably a few other (likely simpler) approaches that I'm forgetting, too.

>    My first thought
> was to cancel the scheduling of it altogether but...
>
> In looking at this I have also noticed a behaviour I wasn't expecting.
>
> This is what this part of my upcoming schedule looks like
>
> "The X Factor"                      119 ITV1 HD 31 20:00-21:00  3 6 6  C 6 3
> Panorama - "The Great Housing Rip   200 BBC NEW 31 20:30-21:00  1 0 0  A E 0
> "Single Father"                     101 BBC One 31 21:00-22:00  1 0 0  A E 0
> Taggart - Bloodsport                103 STV     31 21:00-22:05  1 0 0  A C 0
> "Single Father"                     108 BBC HD  31 21:00-22:00  3 6 6  A 6 1
> "The Xtra Factor"                   113 ITV2    31 21:00-22:00  1 1 1  A 1 0
> "BBC News"                          101 BBC One 31 22:00-22:15  1 1 1  T 1 0
> "The Xtra Factor"                   114 ITV2 +1 31 22:00-23:00  3 6 6  A 6 0
>

> If I add a manual override to record Taggart then I get the following
> schedule, which is what I am after.  Though interestingly the showing
> of  The Xtra Factor on ITV2+1 is not shown as a conflict but
> (correctly) as going to be recorded at an earlier showing  Does this
> imply that the duplicate matching has kicked in again?
>

> "The X Factor"                      119 ITV1 HD 31 20:00-21:00  3 6 6  C 6 3
> Panorama - "The Great Housing Rip   200 BBC NEW 31 20:30-21:00  1 0 0  A E 0
> "Single Father"                     101 BBC One 31 21:00-22:00  1 0 0  A E 0
> Taggart - Bloodsport                103 STV     31 21:00-22:05  1 1 1  O 1 0
> "Single Father"                     108 BBC HD  31 21:00-22:00  3 6 6  A 6 1
> "The Xtra Factor"                   113 ITV2    31 21:00-22:00  1 2 2  A 2 0
> "BBC News"                          101 BBC One 31 22:00-22:15  3 6 6  T 6 0
> "The Xtra Factor"                   114 ITV2 +1 31 22:00-23:00  1 0 0  A E 0

No, the duplicate matching always uses program ID if it's available on
both episodes.  Things just shuffled because you changed one of the
schedules so that one show was ignored.

However, based on your statement, "My guide data is EIT from both DVB-T
and DVB-S," and the fact that the program IDs for the same episode
differ, the proper approach would be to ensure that the program
ID's--which are seemingly coming from 2 different providers or
"authorities"--do not collide.  This is handled with the default
authority for a channel's EIT data.  There was a bug in some versions of
MythTV (before 0.23) where it wasn't properly saved when scanning.
Therefore, my recommendation is for you to--at minimum--rescan, or--if
necessary--Delete all video sources and then recreate your sources,
including rescanning from scratch.  Doing so should ensure different
default authorities--assuming they're reported as such--so your program
IDs would be different (i.e. the authority--in the case mentioned,
above, "www.itv.com/" part would differ).

That said, since both are ITV, they may actually be (wrongly) reporting
the wrong authority information in the stream.  If their program IDs
differ--regardless of who's providing the data--they are different
authorities.  If that's the case, you'll need to work with some other UK
people to figure out the best fix (whether that's having the scanner
include some additional information in the default
authority--distinguishing between DVB-T and DVB-S, for example--or
getting someone to "fix" the broadcast).

I hope the rescan is enough.  Good luck.

Mike "IANAEE" Dean

(I Am Not An EIT Expert)