[mythtv-users] What might make the backend loose the database connection to localhost?

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Wed Oct 27 01:12:57 UTC 2010

On 26/10/2010 3:06 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Dan Wilga
> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu>  wrote:
>> On 10/26/10 8:04 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>> Last night I had an odd thing happen.  In the middle of recording
>>> apparently the backend lost it's connection to the database (running
>>> on the same server connected as localhost), and all the sql started
>>> generating errors like this:
>>>
>>> 2010-10-25 21:00:03.357 DB Error (Resolution insert):
>>> Query was:
>>> INSERT INTO recordedmarkup    (chanid, starttime, mark, type, data)
>>> VALUES ( :CHANID, :STARTTIME,
>>>   :MARK, :TYPE, :DATA);
>>> Bindings were:
>>> :CHANID=1041, :DATA=1920, :MARK=1, :STARTTIME=2010-10-25T21:00:00,
>>> :TYPE=30
>>> Driver error was [2/2006]:
>>> QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
>>> Database error was:
>>> MySQL server has gone away
>>>

> That's definitely not it I'd say.  Those are both at the defaults of
> 28800.  Besides, mysql was anything but idle at the time as I was
> about an hour 15 minutes into very heavy recording when it happened
> (three shows recording).  It just flat out lost the
> connection...really odd.
>
> What surprised me is that all the recordings play fine.  I would have
> thought I'd be missing all the seektable stuff causing problems.

I see this from time to time as well. No idea why it happens and I agree
it happens even when the system appears to be idle. Myth backend
eventually reconnects and all is good. But it is a curiosity that it
goes away. I didn't report it until now because I had other issues that
would have created noise but now that my system is otherwise stable this
is one of the last remaining issues.