[mythtv-users] Cheap Remote and blaster

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 04:05:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 26, 2010 04:32:23 pm mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > > "some other things"? That's not terribly descriptive. Its also suggests
> > > that "some things" *do* work. Please explain exactly what does and does
> > >not work.
> >
> > Don't have a list yet, just tried it quickly, haven't had time to get
> back
> > to it. Volume didn't work, Recorded TV didn't work, Radio, Music,
> > Pictures, Video didn't work. Figured there needs to be some additional
> > configuration. At this point, I just picked the first Mceusb driver after
> > trying the first few.
> > Guide works :).
>
> I would not expect Radio, Music, Video or Pictures to work with a stock
> Myth system without some additional configuration.
> Those are functions of Windows MCE, which the remote is configured to
> access directly, given compatible hardware.
>
> I tried one of those remotes and LIRC picked it up properly, and the major
> functions (pause, FF/ REW etc.) all seemed to
> work. Non-native Myth functions would require some modifications to LIRC's
> configuration, or keymapping. IOW it works as I
> expected it to work. This is why I posted here that those particular
> remotes did work with LIRC/Myth, but I didn't get to
> any customizations, it works as any MCE remote would be expected to work
> out of the box.
>
> Volume will depend on how you have your sound set up, some people use
> external receivers, or the TV set, to control
> volume, and Myth can be set up to accommodate the many possibilities.

The MCE volume control (and TV Power if so equipped) may also have been
previously programmed to a TV set instead of the computer.

A quick google search turned up this page on how to program it to a TV, and
how to reset it to 'pc' control:
http://eirikso.com/2005/11/16/how-to-program-the-buttons-on-your-mce-remote/

J-e-f-f-A