[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

john blue rwc at bestpond.com
Sat Oct 30 05:28:19 UTC 2010

Hi Josh,
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 02:24:55 pm Josh White wrote:
> good evening all,
>
>  I'm looking for a keyboard / mouse setup to use with myth.  I have a $30
> logitech setup that worked for over a year, but recently the effective
> range has been decreasing, and is now essentially 0 from the
> emitter/receiver to the keyboard (I have to put the emitter/receiver on my
> lap while the keyboard is...on my lap for it to work).  The range was
> never great, as it would work well from one end of the couch, but not the
> other, and I'm in a room that's only 10' x 12' which puts the keyboard no
> more than 6-8 feet from the receiver.  It is an RF based device, and
> perhaps local wifi traffic or something along those lines could be the
> issue?  About the only thing I could think to do is change the batteries,
> but that improved things little if any.  I use this mainly for mythtv
> navigation/web surfing from my couch, but also for gaming (I dual boot the
> frontend to play Starcraft 2 on the big screen) and lately I've been using
> a wired keyboard.  Now, the WAF on the wired keyboard is sinking fast
> after she tripped over it, and I was wondering if any myth folks had
> recommendations for a keyboard/mouse combo that worked well for them in
> all three functions described.  Has anyone experienced similar degradation
> in performance of a wireless keyboard?  Did I have a dud to begin with, or
> did do they all gradually lose range?  Any input will be appreciated.

I have a Shintaro Wireless multimedia keyboard, which operates on 2.4GHz with 8 channels and has a "working range" of 10
metres, although I have mainly used it from about 5-6 metres away. It has an optical trackball, scroll wheel.

I used it to control a FE/BE combination in the lounge room, but now use it on a master backend only.  As I am in
Australia it was the only one I could find that suited my needs, I have used it OK for about 18 months without any
issues, I use it for mythtv, normal PC operations, surfing etc, but I am not a gamer.

Would recommend it to meet WAF requirements, assuming you have them available wherever you may be. There aresome on the
mythtv wiki, but I could not get any of them in Australia when I was looking.

Hope this helps.
--

John