[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes every 6-7 hours

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 20:00:27 UTC 2010

On 30 October 2010 20:38, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Especially elaborate the reason that leads you to believe I have a
> hardware failure.

Sorry.. I was replying to an earlier post and I missed the extra information
that you posted about your mythbackend process consuming the memory, though
I've never experienced myth 'eating' memory on this scale.

I have seen many occasions when machines that have been working well
suddenly become very unstable due to hardware faults. It's also possible for
a "faulty-but-almost-always-unused" area of memory that may have been unused
for some time to be brought into use due to something as simple as an
additional application being started, and thus crash the machine.

I still think it may be worth running some memory tests if you can -
presumable you have vnc or something similar for remote access? Could you
not keep the family happy by running your tests during a quiet spell?

George