[mythtv-users] TiVo Slide Remote, Linux and Scan Codes

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Wed Sep 1 04:11:55 UTC 2010

On 01/09/2010 03:40, jmk wrote:
> Keys which function as expected:
>  Remote: 0-9, Vol Up/Down, Mute
>  Keyboard: all keys, except Select and Clear
>
> Keys which generate only a code via getscancodes (nothing obvious sent
> to terminal):
>  Remote: Info, Guide, Ch Up/Down, Rec, D-Pad (Right), Play, Fwd, Rew,
> Pause, Repeat, JumpToEnd, Clear, Enter
>  Keyboard: Clear
>
> Keys which generate an event (i.e. 0x0, 0x1) in getscancodes, but no
> code:
>  Remote: LiveTV, Thumbs Up/Down
>  Keyboard:
>
> Keys which do nothing whatsoever:
>  Remote: Input, Zoom, D-Pad (Up/Down/Left/Select), Slow, A, B, C, D
>  Keyboard: Select

<snip>

> So... I'm assuming that keys which generate a scancode can be mapped and
> made to function. Anyone know where to start with getting something out
> of the other keys? I plan to hack at stuff for a few days, but will
> probably end up returning it if I can't get the rest of the keys to
> work.

The PS3 bluetooth remote has a similar problem. Although every key is
given a different scancode, some of these are above 255 (i.e. more  than
one byte) and from what I read on various pages it didn't sound like
they can be used in the normal way yet until XKB2 is added to Xorg (I
know nothing about X11 so that could be completely wrong though!)

Anyways, the kitlaan patch for bluez adds the ability to have a mapping
table in /etc/bluetooth/input.conf to override the compiled-in defaults,
allowing you to choose what keyboard key is generated for each remote
button.

Maybe something similar could be done for the TiVo remote.

And if I remember correctly bluez does spew out quite a lot of detail
when ran with the -debug switch so hopefully you will be able to
identify what the remote does send (even if its not being translated to
anything that the console/Xorg can see at present), and therefore alter
the code accordingly.

The patch is at:
 http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/holdingcell/bluez_ps3remote.diff

Which is referenced in the setup instructions at:
 http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote

--
Regards,
Jason